Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Close encounter of the Harlot kind

Okay, I confess. I love everything Yarn Harlot. I have all her books, the calender, and even the audio version of "At Knits End" on my iPod. In between blasts of classic rock, Stephanie will pop in to share wisdom about the advantages of stash enhancement. So yes, I was looking forward to seeing her at Madrona. I tried to get into one of her classes, but got completely shut out. Still, I knew that she would be speaking, and I would make sure to be there for that.

Yes, I am a huge fan, but I still have my dignity. I told myself firmly that if I were to bump into Ms. Pearl-McPhee in the course of the 4 day retreat, that I would just smile in a friendly way that says "Welcome to the Northwest". I would NOT gush, gibber or in any other way act like some weird overgrown yarn groupie. She is at Madrona to enjoy herself, not to entertain me. I was very pleased with my own maturity. It's taken me a long time to get here. I have since learned that the universe laughs at my maturity.

I thought I might catch a glimpse of her. I was wrong. She was everywhere. In my class for Knitting Ganseys. At the urn wh
ile getting coffee. Coming in doors I was going out of. Behind me in the hallway. On the elevator. In the restaurant. I wouldn't doubt that she was in the stall next to me. I was tripping over the woman, all the while grinning my "Welcome to the Northwest" smile. She must have thought I was some kind of mute, grinning idiot.

Finally, the snickering knitting fates just pushed me one too many times. DH, who looked unbelievably handsome in the "Cobblestone" that I made him for his birthday, was with me in the Blue Moon booth at the market on Valentine's Day. In walks the
Harlot. I'm there, he's there wearing that, she's there, we're all surrounded by some of the most incredible hand painted fibers on the face of planet, I've got a camera right to hand...I caved. F*%k maturity. I asked her if she would please stand next to the handsome guy in the blue sweater and smile.

She's a good sport. Probably figured it was the only way to get rid of the weird grinning woman.

Welcome to the NW, Steph. I hope you had a good time.

TTFN


P.S. If you happen to read this, I was the woman who climbed into the luggage cart on the crowded elevator so you and your friend could get on. So much for dignity.

2 comments:

Manon C. said...

I was on that same elevator -- that was very funny. I guess the yarn fumes do make us high...

Karin said...

I love how you wrote that.
She's so cool, isn't she? Most always happy to oblige a photo op.