Monday, February 21, 2011

Madrona 2011

All I can say about yesterday’s Madrona adventure is: wow, what a ride! I took a knitting machine to the biggest hand knitting event in western Washington, uninvited and unsure of the reception I would get. I did my best to find a spot where I could set up to knit and not be in the way or distract from the demonstrators. Judith Marie Smith of the Selah’s Blanket Project immediately invited me to wiggle into their space and join the demonstrators! I was completely surprised and unprepared for this turn of events, but I grabbed my big-girl panties and dove in. Or more like floundered. I did the best I could with zero preparation. Sometimes I felt like it went really well, sometimes I felt like an incompetent boob. It was exhilarating and exhausting. I was sooo happy to see Mo and Kathy, even tho’ I was too tired to carry on intelligent conversation. Friendly, familiar faces were most welcome. By the end of the day, I was completely incoherent and satisfied. One of the very busy organizers (Lisa, I think) ran by and told me that if I let them know in advance next year, they will make a space for me. (!)
Petra

1 comment:

365 Dresses said...

Good for you! I'm so tired of the machine knitting folks being ostracized by the hand knitters. I'm actually making an afghan (by hand!) and I'm feeling really, really tortured. Why would I do that, when I can machine knit? Probably never again.